Jihye went back to the apartment for a short rest and I continued to venture around Ohrid. Was shocked to see a group of young Korean students performing in the central square. Stood and watched for a while until they finished up. Applauded and headed on my way when I could hear the group coming up behind me. I went for it and started chatting with some of the kids, and next thing I know, I'm chatting with the head teacher and learning about her 'travel school' and how these kids were on a nine month adventure around the world, learning in and well out of the classroom. Raced back to get Jihye to come meet them, and while we were on our way to the small cafe along the lake, Jihye ran into another Korean couple she had been sharing travel advice with on a website. We went from virtually no Korean in our life to having double-booked ourselves for that night with two different groups of Koreans. Hung out with the students and chatted for an hour or two with the teacher and were fascinated to hear about her wonderful story and school. Unfortunately we had also made plans to meet the traveling couple and had to leave just as the wine was arriving. We raced over and had dinner with the friendly couple and swapped travel stories and got plenty of advice from them about all kinds of things. A totally unexpected, but much needed evening for us both. Hopefully we cross paths with them all again somewhere down the road.
Saturday, November 9, 2013
Korean Students
Jihye went back to the apartment for a short rest and I continued to venture around Ohrid. Was shocked to see a group of young Korean students performing in the central square. Stood and watched for a while until they finished up. Applauded and headed on my way when I could hear the group coming up behind me. I went for it and started chatting with some of the kids, and next thing I know, I'm chatting with the head teacher and learning about her 'travel school' and how these kids were on a nine month adventure around the world, learning in and well out of the classroom. Raced back to get Jihye to come meet them, and while we were on our way to the small cafe along the lake, Jihye ran into another Korean couple she had been sharing travel advice with on a website. We went from virtually no Korean in our life to having double-booked ourselves for that night with two different groups of Koreans. Hung out with the students and chatted for an hour or two with the teacher and were fascinated to hear about her wonderful story and school. Unfortunately we had also made plans to meet the traveling couple and had to leave just as the wine was arriving. We raced over and had dinner with the friendly couple and swapped travel stories and got plenty of advice from them about all kinds of things. A totally unexpected, but much needed evening for us both. Hopefully we cross paths with them all again somewhere down the road.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What an awesome experience.
ReplyDelete