Saturday, July 27, 2013

Jerzy's Message to my Mother

I felt so moved after watching Jerzy perform, and while everyone was throwing coins into his container, I gave Jihye the camera, grabbed a much larger bill from my wallet, and walked directly up to him.  I have never felt so pulled to do something.  I told him about my mother's struggles with alcohol, and asked him if he would simply wish her 'good luck'.  We got the video working and Jerzy amazed me with his English and his message to my mother.  I can only hope and pray (with virtually 100% doubts) that she would heed his sage advice.  I spent some time talking with Jerzy after we made this quick video, and it was amazing the self-control he has gifted to himself simply by doing yoga.
I have spent a week debating on whether or not to post this at all.  I thought I should send it to her privately.  That I should get her permission before posting it.  But finally, I have to be true to what this trip is to me.  Despite being as old as I am...I am still finding myself and my own voice and trying to be true to myself always.  It is time to step up and accept facts as they are.  For myself and no one else.
My mother has a problem with alcohol.  I don't know when it began, and as I live outside of the country and basically haven't been around my family for nine years, I wasn't aware of how serious it had become.  In private moments, she knows and admits this as well...however, as we tend to be peace-loving people, and too kind and indirect with each other, things slide along and never get solved or resolved.
I also really, really miss my mom.  Not just literally, but I mean the woman she used to be to and for me.  A superwoman.  A living and breathing super hero.  She could do or solve anything.  Now I don't know that she is responsible enough to do anything really...in fact over the last few years, she has let me down so severely, that I decided not to return to the United States.  I know she doesn't realize that she was and is the main reason that I changed my plans.
Anyways, this is not the main theme of the blog...but three separate times on this trip (a host in Vilnius, Lithuania that told me about her ruined relationship with her son and her 19 month rehab, this experience meeting Jerzy, and a moment in the 'Silence Room' in Berlin, Germany thinking deeply about my mother) have left me with such strong feelings that I need to post this and move on.  For myself.
I hope my mother reads this knowing I do it all out of love and with the sincerest hopes for her health.  I'm not sure I had felt that confident and inwardly peaceful in over 10 years as I did after talking with Jerzy and making this video message for her.  All I want is my strong, superhero mom back.  Love you Mom!  Haven't given up on you yet...never...

http://youtu.be/ytk8F_V2Yls



1 comment:

  1. Tears in my eyes...it's a struggle every day. I love that you thought of me on this day...and as every day is a struggle...I promise to make every effert to get healthy. I thank you, Jihye and Jerzy.

    ReplyDelete